Re: Daniel Smith Lenox

From: clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 01/24/02-06:48:28 PM Z

Jeff wrote:

>Clay: How big is big? I do 5x7s mostly, but also 8x10s. Why do you prefer
>Platine for the "big" ones? Weight of the paper?? -jb

Big is 7x17's. I just like the more substantial weight and tone of the
platine for the larger prints. Of course, that paper occasionally gives you
a horrible 'Night of the Living Speckles' experience like I had the other
day.

I do 8x10's on Lenox too, and they look pretty good. Carl is right about the
tone, though. You'd expect it to be extra warm because of the paper base
tint, but it actually has a cooler image tone than Platine, which has a
whiter base. Go figure.

FWIW, I used some Whatman's Printmaking paper the other day that I
pre-treated with OxA and got a really nice print. It has a really nice soft
tactile quality that some other papers like platinotype lack. And it is
about 2.30 or so for a 22x30 sheet from NYC Art Supply.

Clay