Re: help

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 01/24/02-08:05:28 PM Z

Tillman,

>I will try both all three ideas, clearing face down, one shot
>development, and tape. I did try to tape method but the tape stuck
>to strongly to the paper.

I don't understand what taping the borders will accomplish. It is my
understanding that the stain results from ferrous metals that are
left in the paper. Are these metals not also found in the image area
of the print as well as the borders? If so, would not the image areas
be degraded even if you managed to keep the border areas clean by
taping?

Is there any question of permanence associated with complete clearing
of the ferrous metal from the paper? In kallitype printing, which is
of course closely related to platinum in the way it functions, I
understand that residual iron let in the paper is one of the major
problems relating to permanence.

Sandy King