Re: How to make sodium citrate?

From: clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 01/24/02-09:51:15 PM Z

I'm no chemist, but the instructions in Sullivan and Weese for making sodium
acetate describe making a 'fairly strong' (whatever that means) solution of
sodium bicarbonate and slowly adding white vinegar (acetic acid) to it until
the bubbling stops. Apparently there will be a precipitate in the bottom of
the container if it is an appropriately saturated solution of the salt. I'm
guessing that you'd do the same thing to make sodium citrate. I definitely
would do this outdoors, since there will likely be one heck of lot of CO2
being released, in addition to a lot of spattering and so on.

Again, this is conjecture based on the information in 'The New Platinum
Print', but it sounds reasonable from my dim memories of college chemistry
lab sessions.

Clay