Re: Kallitype vs. PT/PD

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 01/25/02-12:50:40 PM Z

> This has been discussed somewhat incompletely in
> other threads. I am curious to know the going
> opinions on the visual similarities between
> platinum (and or) palladium prints and their
> cousin the kallitype. Some seem to think that a
> good kallitype can be indistinguishable from a
> platinum print in tonality and tonal range;
> others disagree. I wonder if anyone has done a
> controlled comparison?
>
> -Paul

> http://auctions.yahoo.com

I've made prints from the same neg and the only way I could tell which
was Pt/Pd and which Kallitype was by looking on the writing on the back. I
was using a developing out method with both processes, and there were no
significant differences in tonality/tonal range.

We have speculated in the past that some 'platinum' prints in collections
may actually be kallitypes. There were several formulae published around
1900 which claimed to produce kallitypes which looked identical to
platinum.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com