Re: Pyro POP

From: julian smart (julian@jsmart.fslife.co.uk)
Date: 01/25/02-04:48:58 PM Z

Manuel wrote:
> Does someone have experience in printing Pyro negatives with Centennial
POP
> ?
> My experience says that a pyro negative perfectely matched for platinum
> does not have enough contrast for POP , unless if I print it with a low
> level light source for very long times (12hrs to 24 hrs) to increase
> contrast.

Manuel,
I have been working on producing inkjet negatives, coloured up in a
pseudo-pyro colour. The advantages, I thought, would be that I could lay
down much less ink and therefore get a finer negative with fewer digital
artifacts such as scan lines or droplets. I'd been working with what is the
market leader in the UK and getting reasonable results. Printing the
negatives produced, in VDB and Cyanotype, gave prints with good tonality
and sharpness but they still had that 'digital' look.
A couple of weeks ago I had some new ohp film delivered- not on the market,
that is- to test drive. The results were truly outstanding, especially given
that I had decided to really push the material and try them out on the new
Kentmere/ Centennial pop paper that I had also been given to try out. I knew
that producing a neg for this paper would be really pushing the limits of
what digital could offer (at least from desktop inkjet printers) but was
totally amazed to find the neg. I made ( I only had 2 10*8 sheets to try)
printed with a complete tonal range and without any visible scan lines or
graininess. Now I just need to persuade my sponsor to part with much more of
this magic material and I can start producing pyro/inkjet gum negs.

As for producing negatives for more than one process, I have found that
doesnt work without compromise. My maxim has always been to know in advance
the process you will use to make the final print and take your pictures with
that end in mind.

Best wishes,

Julian Smart.