Acrylic Spay - protecting digital/inkjet images

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 01/27/02-06:14:59 PM Z

Still at it here, this has been a long arduous battle - this digital
negative business. To date, I am only using the Lightjet negs commercially
and I have begun to fade from this daunting hunt.

My recent post/reply to John Campbell about the film he was kind of high on
led nowhere - he responded off list that there were some misgivings and he
also is still hunting for the holy grail (correct me if I'm wrong on this
John).

So, here's another shot at it. As I reported here recently, I tested/have
been testing the Pictorico OHP film with MIS Full Spectrum Quad Black
Pigment Based inks and have found (like others) that the ink won't dry and
the image is very susceptible to damage. I also reported that spraying the
image degrades/muddles the midtones, at least with the two clear acrylics
that I tried.

So, since I still have some of the original MIS Quad Black DYE Based inks
around here, I set out to determine if that ink dries on Pictorico OHP film.
Success, or is it??? While the ink dries appropriately, I have no printer
to test it on without significant trouble and with no guarantee of success.
am therefore quite reluctant to persue this since I'm very gunshy at this
juncture.

I would be much more willing to colaborate with someone who currently using
Quad Black DYE Based inks to test this method. One should probably be on a
Win PC(although I could email the files and a Mac would be ok) and have
Photoshop 5/6. I will send a floppy with a test image (300K) with curve for
an Epson 1160 applied, a piece of Pictorico film, some instructions to print
two copies of it on the one piece of film and the setup instructions for the
printer.
A 4 color Epson printer would be preferred or an 1160 would be ideal.

Would anyone like to participate. The whole test might take you a half an
hour. As I recall, someone has an 1160 on a Mac, but I can't recall if your
using Quad black (and much more DYE based) ink's Judy?

BTW, I dearly love the output from the 1160 and I am currently searching for
a suitable archivable paper to print on.

Would also like very much to hear from anyone else in this boat.

Many thanks for listening,

Nick