Re: B+F difference

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 01/29/02-12:21:18 PM Z

Nick Makris wrote:

> From your experience in printing PT/PD, is there always a difference
> between the B+F area and the area of the print where there was no
> film covering the sensitiser? Different substrates provide for
> various levels of difference between them....
> I'm finding that if I expose for the deepest blacks in the print
> to match the uncovered area of the sensitiser, everything else gets
> muddled ...

The blackest black that is to be used in the print will never be as
black as possible with the materials, unless perhaps one wants that
"muddled" look. As to the difference in a print between film substrate
B+F and no substrate, these may or may not be close to identical. It
depends on how one chooses to print and make negatives. Mine are close
enough to be the same since my B+F is generally low and Zone I is placed
dense enough (this requires a bit more printing exposure time) to be on
the straight line portion of the film (off of the toe).

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/