B+F difference

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 01/29/02-10:37:17 AM Z

>From your experience in printing PT/PD, is there always a difference between
the B+F area and the area of the print where there was no film covering the
sensitiser? Different substrates provide for various levels of difference
between them. For example, the Pictorico film shows very little difference
while others show varying levels.

On most tests I find the darkest areas to be on the edge where full exposure
occurs, about 5+% darker than the clearest part of the neg. I'm finding
that if I expose for the deepest blacks in the print to match the uncovered
area of the sensitiser, everything else gets muddled - the pictorico is
about half the exposure of BLF.

Would someone stick their 2¢ in here???

Many thanks,

Nick