Re: Ink Jet Transparencies as Negs

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 01/30/02-07:52:04 AM Z

> Thanks for the info. And sorry for not paying attention earlier. I just
> became "re-interested" in Van Dyke printing a few weeks ago for some
> commercial work. Learned how to do it at RIT in 1989, but haven't done it
> since. Thought I could just make ink-jet negs. Very much appreciate your
> post.
>
> Best,
> Rick

Rick, I didn't mean to imply that you cannot make digital negs from an
inkjet printer, it really very simple and the acceptability of the resulting
print is the only criteria from which one can judge success. In my case,
the prints are not acceptable - to the untrained eye they look great.
However, many on this list, among others, would find fault with them.

If I were starting out again knowing what I know right now, I would buy an
Epson 1160, and a continuous ink supply system for it, and a dye based (at
the moment most/all dye based inks have questionable longevity) set of 4
color inks, and some Pictorico OHP film. In fact, on Monday I posted to the
list a request for someone with that setup to come forward and participate
in a test.

I'm using pigment based inks so that my B&W inkjet prints (read that good
longevity and salable with clear conscience) can be produce on the same
printer that I use for my negs. I already have 3 printers and 2 PC's on my
desk and would like to get rid of some, not add some.

Good luck,

Nick