RE: Getting started

From: Keith Gerling (keithgerling@att.net)
Date: 01/30/02-12:38:05 PM Z

Paul,

Last week there was a discussion concerning the perceived differences
between Platinum and more affordable processes such as Van Dyke Brown and
kallitype. I believe the consensus was that it was pretty hard to tell a
kallitype from a platinum print. You may want to give that some thought if
cost is an issue.

Speaking for myself, I jumped right in with Platinum and Palladium. That
was back when palladium sold for $125/oz. (I don't recall the price of
platinum). I still uses these metals, but find myself using the Van Dyke
and kallitype processes much more often. Using these silver processes may
not make you a better platinum printer, but you'll get plenty of practice
with coating, clearing, etc., not to mention judging negatives and
exposures - all while saving considerable funds.

Keith