RE: Getting started

From: Linas Kudzma (lkudzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/30/02-07:56:19 PM Z

Paul,
 I'm sure there will be as many stories and types of advice as people
responding. As for myself, about two years ago I bought "The New Platinum
Print" by list members Sullivan and Weese and was off running. My first
10-20 prints were pretty bad by my current standards as I learned contrast
control, coating technique, negative development for alt processes
(including Pyro, Pyrocat, etc). But this book, more than any other I've
seen, gives you more than enough info to get started and prepares you for
the inevitable experimentation you will certainly do. Also, Richard
Sullivan's B&S sells most of what they discuss. I shop around for a lot of
things now, but in the begining the "one stop shopping" was quite
conveniant. I have standardized on B&S ferric oxalate, which can be
variable depending on supplier.

Also, look on the B&S website at the process they call "Satista Plus". This
could be a somewhat less expensive way to try this type of printing. The
"Satista Plus" method gives you essentially a Pd or Pt toned Kallitype.
I've been playing around with this process and it's interesting.

Linas