Re: WHICH LENNOX?

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/30/02-03:03:44 PM Z

Jeff,

The stuff I'm working with from Kinsella is labeled Lenox 100. Don't know
what may be different about '250'. That may just be a reference by Smith to
the weight. 250 gram designation is the same as 90#. I just checked and
Arentz only refers to it as 'Lenox, from Parsons' with neither 100 nor 250
in the name.

The Lenox is the same nominal weight as Crane 90# cover but is
thicker--higher loft--and acts heavier. The surface has more texture,
similar to Crane's Kid Finish papers. Color is similar to Crane natural
white but it *prints* cooler in color. That is the mid-tones of a palladium
print are more neutral than you'd expect looking at the base color, nearly
as cool as much whiter-based Platine. It is nice and tough in wet handling.
A bit more absorbent than some other papers; I'm using 32 drops for an 8x10
while 28 is plenty for Platine. It is certainly not immune to "specks" but
the batch I've got is showing relatively little of this. Tonal progressions
are, as advertised extremely smooth. Contrast is a bit lower than Platine.

The finished print surface seems very rugged. I've had a problem with
Platine ending up with a fragile finished print surface that nearly needs to
be handled like a charcoal or pastel drawing. The Lenox seems quite immune
to scuffing or abrasion.

Oh, it crashed and burned when I tried to coat it up for a cyanotype.

---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at: