Re: Ink Jet Transparencies as Negs

MichaelSpedding@aol.com
Date: 01/31/02-01:29:54 PM Z

rick@picturenetcorp.com writes:

> Friends,
>
> My first post, but long time reader. A while back there was a brief
> discussion on the topic of using InkJet to make negs. Can someone refresh
> me as to what the decision was regarding the best technique. When I set my
> output to "Tranparency Paper" I get lines. When I print on "Best Photo
> Paper" I don't get lines, but D-Max is too low. Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Rick

I am relatively new to the list and also to alternative processes, my work
mainly being in black and white silver gelatine. However, I have recently
been making VanDyke brown and cyanotype prints from inkjet negatives. The
first thing I would sugest is that IMHO Dan Burkholders book 'Making digital
negatives for contact printing' is a must buy.

You will get lines when the printer is set to traparency film as it does not
set a high quality print option, with the photo paper option set the quality
is ok but Dmax is low because the film cannot hold enough ink. Also a dye or
ink image does not block UV as well as a silver image. The solution to the
Dmax problem is to print the negatives out in an Orange/Red colour, also a
correction curve needs to be applied to adjust the densities. All of this is
explained in Dans book, which comes complete with a compact disc which has on
it a number of these curves. Have a look on Dans web site at
www.danburkholder.com.

I have been using Kodak inkjet photo transparency film with an Epson 660
inkjet printer. If you are interested there are a few images and some notes
on my website at
www.mspedding.freeserve.co.uk. In the last couple of days I have received my
first order of Pictorico transparent film which is reported to be the best
medium for inkjet negatives.

Regards
Michael Spedding
michaelspedding@aol.com<A HREF="http://www.mspedding.freeserve.co.uk/">