Large format conf. ABQ

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/02/02-01:13:38 PM Z

At 01:40 PM 7/2/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>AFAIK, if another coat is planned on top of anything, it's preshrunk.
>Sarah van Keuren mentions that for gum over cyano, as do others, tho I
>don't recall if Stuart Melvyn, "the best gum printer in -- what was it--
>the known universe"? was said to.

Just saw the latest Melvin gums and I have to agree. He did a presentation
at the Large Format Conference in Albuquerque this past weekend. There was
an alt panel for 2 hours that included our own Sandy King with his carbons,
Dick Arentz on pt/pd, Stuart on gum, and Zoe Zimmermann on albumin.

Yes he does pre-shrink but I think he has perfected the work-around for that.

Stuart brought four new pieces and had two others in the show: Large Fromat
in New Mexico at Magnifico in Albuquerque which was tied to the LF
conference. Stuart's pieces hung next to two Adams works, a nice comparison.

When Stuart brought out his 20 x 24 twelve coat gums there was a audible
murmur in the audience. Those prints are unlike anything I've ever seen,
and if I did not know, I would have guessed they were carbons except for
the luminosity. They had an unearthly glow to them. Microdetail yes, but
since they were 20 x 24 pinhole and zone plates so it's hard to lay that on
him in a negative sense. They were certainly not your Photo 101 gritty
gums. Stuart has been working over a year of perfecting some new
techniques. I am trying to get him to write a book and I am slowly getting
through to him. He says he'd rather make prints! Can't argue with that!

The large format conference was by all accounts a roaring success. About
250 attendees and lots of vendors in the vendor area including B+S. Mind
you this was not primarily an alt affair but the alt folks were highly
visible and as might be expected they tended to be -- um, how do I say
this? -- the more dominant faction in terms of accomplishment. Most of the
attendees were working in 4x5 -- And they called that large format!? --
Whereas our own Sandy King was working in 20 x 24 and the other alt folks
basically 8x10 and larger. Interstingly, if you can believe the vendor
booth activity, there was less interest in digital that in alt, we had 7
people working our booth and we could have used more! We did sell a ton of
Dan Burkholders' digital negative book though. Alt is growing.

Ok, and why are the Epson people showing ink-j prints with brush marks
around them? Oops Giclee prints is the term now. Giclee = "ejaculate" or
"spurt" in French)
--Dick Sullivan