Re: Gum over Kallitype with Pyro negative

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/03/02-12:46:11 AM Z

Hamish Stewart wrote:

> As someone who is about to embark on the digital neg process this subject is
> of much interest. I have read Dan's book and would have planned to go the
> spectral density route but for some of the comments on this list which
> suggest that for gum at least plain black ink works best.

That's sure what works best for me and my old EX, but it probably
depends on the model, or maybe even the individual inkjet printer, what
works best for each individual gum printer.

> This begs the question to all gum printers out there making digital negs.
> Does anyone use the spectral density method successfully with gum?

I've asked this question to the list before.Several people wrote to say
that they use the fill method successfully with different printers than
mine, but I'm more interested in the color table method, since the fill
method adds black ink and so isn't a true test of the spectral density
question.

Perhaps the problem with the spectral
> density negs is related to density rather than colour ie if the spectral
> density method is intended to increase the density of the negative for
> printing processes with a longer curve than gum then perhaps this method is
> also increasing the general density of the negative which may have something
> to do with the contrast problems?

Yes, I'm quite sure that's the case with the fill method, there's just
too much ink, and I think I said that in my explanation. This is what
happens when I use something to illustrate a point that I prepared to
illustrate a different point--there's a risk of confusing people with
extraneous information. For this discussion the other two prints were
there just because they were there, and to provide a frame of reference.
My point was about the "print" from the color table negative, why is it
that this kind of spectral density negative seems to work for platinum,
but (at least in my shop) not for gum?

I don't have an answer but your tests seem
> conclusive Katherine. Thanks for sharing them!

You're welcome, Hamish. I don't know about conclusive; to me it's just
another piece of information that may not be generally applicable, which
is why I think the more we share our various experiences, the better.
Katharine