Re: Gum over Kallitype with Pyro negative

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/03/02-02:38:51 AM Z

> Breukel, C (HKG) wrote:
> >

> > .I indeed did not print a straigth gum from thr Pyro neg, I used the gum
> > layer to "fill in" the highlights/midtones of a deliberately
> > underexposed kallitype. The gum coat does more than adding colour, it
> > does reveal mid/highlight detail which was not present in the initial
> > Kallitype print..

A further thought: if your point is that the gum layer isn't supposed to
be able to stand on its own but is simply added to enhance and fill in
the underexposed kallitype, then on one hand my complaint that the gum
part doesn't look to my eyes like a gum print is probably irrelevant for
that type of print, (btw I don't think I've seen Cor's work; I'm just
referring in general to what little work I've seen of this kind) but on
the other hand it adds weight to my larger speculation about how the gum
sensitizer and the other sensitizers may respond differentially to the
stain, if the kallitype and the gum print so differently from the same
negative. But then, as Hamish rightly pointed out, in some cases the
spectral density question may be confounded with a physical density
issue, and this is probably especially true with some pyro negatives.
Katharine