Re: Gum over Kallitype with Pyro negative

From: Hamish Stewart (hamish@gumphoto.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: 07/03/02-05:39:25 PM Z

On 3/7/02 14:06, "Kees Brandenburg" <branden@zeelandnet.nl> wrote:

> Fontenay is a nice 300 grs. 100% cotton aquarel paper by Canson with
> one smooth and one rough side. Here in the Netherlands it is rather
> cheap.
>
> I have been using this paper in my gum workshops for over 6 months
> and it behaves very good. But good multiple gumprints are only
> possible,as Judy wrote" "on preshrunk, then sized, then hardened,
> paper".
>
> When preshrunk (overnight),sized (3% gelatin) and hardened (glyoxal)
> fontenay is one of the most stable papers I ever used for Gum. I am
> printing on the smooth side.
>
> Kees

Kees,

Thanks for the tip on papers. But a question, do you find that from batch to
batch the paper behaves much the same?

I currently use both Saunders Waterford and Fabriano Artisco both 600gsm
with good results but note that my most recent batch is staining more than
before. Have you had similar experiences with the Fontenay paper and are
other gum printers on list had similar problems with changes is paper
manufacture?

On the question of registration and preshinking I now use two pre-shrink
steps and I find that using a 600gsm paper I have fewer registration
problems. Judy's earlier comment about time consistency between coats though
has got me thinking.

Cheers

Hamish Stewart - Gum Bichromate Photographer - visit
<http://www.gumphoto.fsnet.co.uk>
for gum bichromate images, technical information and links to recommended
resources on alternative photographic processes.
mailto:<hamish@gumphoto.fsnet.co.uk>