Re: HP5+ and LONG development times

From: Clay Harmon (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 07/17/02-05:55:43 AM Z

Shannon:

Hp-5 is notorious for reaching so-called 'gamma infinity' quickly. That is
where at some point, additional development does not increase the contrast,
but only adds additional base+fog density (not desirable!) . You may need to
use a staining developer such as PMK, rollo pyro or Pyrocat-HD, which will
give a proportional (to silver density) UV blocking stain in the highlights
and behaves like additional density when printing UV sensitive processes.

I use HP-5 with pyrocat-HD all the time in my big cameras and it works fine
with a density range of about 1.3-1.4. The stain actually makes the
effective density range more like 1.8-1.9. Pyrocat times for the density
range you're looking for would be about 11-13 minutes at 75 degrees. Check
out the Sandy King article at www.unblinkingeye.com for all the info. It
also is one of the cheapest developers around, and is pretty easy to mix.

Staining developers are about the only way to go with HP-5 for alt-photo
density ranges, unless you only shoot really high contrast scenes. The
pinhole may be making your efforts a little harder also because of internal
flare.

Clay