Re: Hardened Gum reversible?

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/17/02-11:26:34 AM Z

Breukel, C (HKG) wrote:

> I seem to recall (I have no acces to my papers and books right now),
> that to clear the highlights, when finished printing your final (?) gum
> layer, one can clear your print in sodium bisulphite. Or was this
> intended to clear (if present) possible dichromate stain?

Cor,
You're right, the clearing step is intended to remove dichromate
residue, not hardened gum, but as a matter of fact sodium bisulfite does
soften the hardened gum, and just for the heck of it I tried it and
managed to neatly wipe off the top gum layer of a scrap print this
afternoon, leaving the lower layers intact, after a short soak in the
stuff. This might actually be your best bet if you want to try
something.

How easily hardened gum can be removed is also, I suspect, a function of
the type of sizing and how heavily it is applied, as well as of the type
of paper used and probably the type of gum as well.
Katharine