RE: Avoiding gelatine

From: Ken Watson (watsok@frii.com)
Date: 07/18/02-10:38:25 AM Z

Everytime you make an image on modern film you are using gelatin. All
modern photography uses this material. Collodion was used to make
negatives, positives and used to coat paper. Just cotton and a lot of
volatile chemicals like ether and alcohol. You can find this material at
chemical supply houses. I think non flexible is what you are looking for.

You can add halogens to the collodion and then use silver nitrate to create
photosensitive silver.

There is salted paper. Salt water onto paper, then when dry brush on silver
nitrate solution. Almost all the early photographic process do not use
gelatin as it was not readily available in pure enough form in the
beginning.

If you think being a vegetarian in our society is trouble some, doing
photography with out gelatin of any kind is really a challenge.

Good luck