Re: HP5+ and LONG development times

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/18/02-10:14:04 PM Z

Richard Knoppow wrote:

> D-76 is not a particularly high contrast developer. You might have better
>results with Kodak DK-50. Start at 1:1 dilution. Its a medium grain
>developer, about like T-Max RS, that should make no difference for 8x10.
> For higher densities you might have to go to T-Max 400, which is capable
>of higher contrast and density than HP-5. Even with D-76 T-Max 400 will
>reach log densities of 3.0.
>----
>Richard Knoppow
>Los Angeles, CA, USA
>dickburk@ix.netcom.com

In the area of non-staining developers DK-50 is an excellent choice
for alternative printing where one needs a negative with a DR of 1.4
or better. Used straight it will give results very similar to HC-110
Dilution A, while the 1:1 dilution approximates HC-110 Dilution B.
However, DK-50 is slightly more energetic than HC-110 in these two
comparison and requires shorter development times to reach the same
CI.

Some years ago I compared the results with HP5+ using DK-50 1:1 and
HC-110 Dilution B. At gamma infinity HP5 in DK-50 1:1 gave a slightly
higher CI than HC-100 Dilution B, used at the same temperature, with
little if any difference in film grain size and curve slope.

To reach a DR of about 1.6 in a scene of normal contrast, ie. SBR of
8, requires only about 7 minutes of development in DK50 1:1, based on
development in BTZS tubes and with constant agitation.

DK50 is easy to mix from scratch and very economical in use compared to HC110.

Sandy King