Re: Why HP5+

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/20/02-08:56:57 AM Z

I use HP5+ in part out of necessity because it is one of the only
films available in ULF, and the one with the highest ISO. Only Ilford
with HP5+ and FP4+ and Bergger with BPF 200 are currently supporting
distribution of film in the 11X14, 7X17, 12X20, 14X17, etc. formats.
Kodak's pricing has made it impractical to use such films as TRI-X
and T_MAX 400, both of which I prefer to HP5+. Ilford FP4+ is a
wonderful film for alternative work, and for silver too for that
matter, but an ISO of 100 can be quite limiting in working with ULF
cameras where you must stop down the lens as much as possible to get
good depth of file. BPF shares a lot of characteristics with HP5+ but
has a much lower effective EI.

I don't find HP5+ any more difficult than other films to work with.
All films have certain characteristics that need to be known in order
to expose and develop correctly for one's printing application. HP5+
is no different from other films in this regard.

Sandy King