RE: Inkjet Negatives for Van Dyke

From: Larry Roohr (lrryr@attbi.com)
Date: 07/21/02-10:04:44 AM Z

Hi Mark,

There are definitely different density dots there, in the dense parts they
are all smeared together randomly so I don't believe you get the on/off dot
effect, sort of a cross between contone and dots.

The peizo system is available on the 1280/1290 printers which are 2880. I
think your right about the lack of advantage for quadtones. I found that the
Epson driver did a better job on the pictorico because the dither pattern
covered up more printer inadequacy's than the peizo driver on the 1160,
which show up in the first place because pictorico has zero dot gain. The
inadequacy's are so reduced on the C80 with it's 2880 dpi that I'd call them
negligible now.

I'm dubious about 16 bits translating to an advantage on a print/negative.
16 bit files will certainly help if your applying wild curves to straighten
out the printers response on pictorico however. The peizo pro24 is so
expensive it's a non issue for me anyway, but even the non-pro version does
the 16 bit thing. BTW, the peizo software is available stand alone now from
other than the Cone people, 150$ for the driver and with the MIS FS inks
($60 for 16 oz of ink) it's downright affordable now, the paper profiles are
invaluable.

I made an orange negative with the C80 a'la Dan and sure nuff the density on
paper with a ziatype got way up there. It was interesting though that the
orange stepwedge density's matched pretty closely the gray stepwedge
densities on my densitometer, but the papers response went non-linear and so
would require more of a curve to straighten out. I like the work flow of
screen to neg-stepwedge to densitometer, and densitometer readings
translating to paper in a well behaved manner like I have with the all-color
ink gray negatives, and I don't like applying curves, so I'm sticking with
the non-color neg's. I'm able to get enough density for my POP prints when
gold is added to the mix to raise the print contrast. I've been told that a
developed out plat/palad print has inherently higher contrast than the pop
prints so these neg's may be a good fit for that without contrast
enhancement.

The pigment inks seem to have more uv opacity, I haven't verified this
though. The negatives I'm making my pop prints from are about a 1.2 on my
densitometer.

I haven't done anything with dye inks in what seems like forever, but what I
remember is drastic curves to straighten out the response and a lack of
density even in the visible spectrum, maybe I should re-visit that, I've
been operating on the assumption that pigment inks are better, if not the
1280/1290 printers would be the way to go.

The C80 is so superior to anything else I've tried, it has pigment inks and
2880 dpi, the inks only require a mild curve to straighten and the 2880 dpi
eliminated printing defects. The yet to be released Epson 2200 printer is
the first wide carriage 2880 dpi pigment printer, if the inks are as good to
the pictorico as the c80's I'll be lusting after one.

I had a friend at work print a stepwedge on his 2000p last week (before he
sold it in anticipation of his impending 2200 purchase). While not as nice
as the c80 curve it was much better than the peizo inks curve, but it's a
1440 dpi printer. When he gets his 2200 I'll ask him to do another step
wedge and see how it does. The 2200 inks are really a different animal, I've
read is that the pigments soak in and leave behind a protective coating on
the surface of the paper so who knows what will happen on pictorico.

I'm going to copy this to the list in case anyone else is interested, since
this was so much typing, which I do with two fingers, so I wont want to do
it again <g>.

I've got a day off today and my wife and daughter are going to Waterworld so
I get to work on gum printing and process some film, I'll see if I can whip
up a rudimentary web page with curves and stuff pertaining to all this as
well.

Larry