RE: Ferric citrate in VDB formulas

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/24/02-03:21:18 PM Z

Philippe wrote:

>To answer your question, a priori, a way to dissolve ferric citrate
>could be to add citric acid, or maybe acetic acid..., but I am not
>sure. Or better, add sodium citrate or potassium citrate or lithium
>citrate. This will make the coreponding salts sodium ferric citrate
>or potassium ferric citrate or lithium ferric citrate. If one of
>these salts is highly soluble you solve your solubility problem.

I did as you suggested. To 35ml of water I added 10g of ferric
citrate and 8g of sodium citrate, and about 2ml of acetic acid. It is
now 24 hours later and most of the ferric citrate has in fact gone
into solution. The color of the solution is dark green, in contrast
to the color of ferric citrate solution by itself, which is
brownish/red. I suspect that by tomorrow the rest of the ferric
citrate will have gone into solution and then I will be able to test
the speed and contrast of the solution.

My question at this point is, how do I know if the solution is now
ferric citrate or sodium ferric citrate? Is the green color the key?

Sandy King