Re: Ferric citrate in VDB formulas

From: Philippe Monnoyer (philippe.monnoyer@skynet.be)
Date: 07/24/02-04:03:27 PM Z

Sandy,

At this point you have a mix of
-sodium ferric citrate
-sodium ferric acetate
-acetic acid
-citric acid (reaction of acetic acid + citrate)

but all these species are separated in ions in the solution. They are Na(+),
Fe(3+), citrate(3-), acetate(-), H(+)
The color of a salt solution depends on the presence of other species in the
same solution. It make complexes that absord the light differently. For
example, a solution of iodine crystals in water or in acetone won't give the
same color. But it's still iodine.

For your process here, what matters is that you have both citrate(-) and
iron(3+) present. The citrate (or oxalate) ions are the ligth sensitive
part. Iron is the species that will take electrons from the citrate and give
it back to the nobel metal, until it is a "black" metal. The smaller the
metal particles, the warmer the tone. In chrysotype, it is even red and
blue. RH% during exposure determines the size of the particles, and the
tone. More RH% gives a faster reaction and bigger particles, and finally a
more neutral tone.

So you used this trick to have your ferric citrate in solution. It seems to
work. Good. It was only a theoretical expectation (or chemical intuition)
from me. The next issues will be:
- is it still sensitive enough ?
- is the contrast improved ?

Maybe the quantity of acetic acid added would play on both ...
Wait and see ... I'm curious

Cheers,

Philippe