Re: 8x10 FUJI B&W FILM

From: Jonathan Borden (jborden@attbi.com)
Date: 07/25/02-05:13:54 AM Z

Carl Weese wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> FP4 Plus responds well to PMK pyro, with a working ei of about 64. Tmax
> 100 doesn't show as useful a pyro stain as TMax 400, but I don't know of
> any direct relationship between grain size, speed, and pyro
response. ---Carl

Interesting. I've not done an extensive comparison of films, but for my 35mm
work I've used Delta 100, TMax 100, and Neopan Acros 100, all of which make
perfectly fine negatives in PMK, but all without terrific stain. The 400 ASA
versions of TMax and Delta seem to have better stain (I use Delta 400 and I
reference your statement about TMax 400 above). BPF 200 (which I use in
4x5/8x10), whose grain is larger than Delta 400, also has terrific stain. I
suspect the grain in FP4+ is larger than TMax/Delta/Acros 100, so perhaps
the grain size/shape rather than the speed has something to do with it? I've
also tried Fuji Neopan SS 100 which I don't recall jumping out at me in
flourescent green, so I imagine there are a number of variable involved. I
don't know what other folks experiences are, but if my small sampling is
plotted grain size vs. stain intensity, it seems as though there is a
positive correlation. Perhaps FP4+ has better stain than would otherwise be
predicted given its grain? If so I'd consider it for 4x5, but would that
make a difference for 8x10 contact prints?

Jonathan