RE: Ferric citrate in VDB formulas

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 12/31/03-09:41:06 PM Z

Philippe wrote:

>I am pretty sure that only sodium citrate helped dissolving the
>ferric citrate.
>With the solution you are trying now (10g/10g), you will have mainly
>sodium ferric citrate in the solution + an exces of 1.67 g of pure
>ferric citrate.
> To have pure sodium ferric citrate, you should have added exactly
>12.01 g of sodium citrate (assuming the you have sodium citrate
>under the form tribasic, dihydrate).

Yes, you are right in that the sodium citrate by itself has
completely dissolved the ferric citrate. After seeing your message
above I went back and added an extra 3g of sodium citrate to the
solution (now 10g of ferric citrate + 13g of sodium citrate in 35ml
of water) and everything has now dissolved. I should be able to test
the solution very soon.

Sandy