Re: digital aesthetic

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/30/02-04:44:17 AM Z

Shannon,

One distinction that I think is more than technical: in PhotoShop one
makes a montage, not a collage. A collage is actually assembled from
real objects--mixed media in the most literal sense. I for one find an
enormous difference between the experience of viewing a true collage
made up of objects and a photo-montage made up of images, whether the
latter is done the old fashioned way or with newer digital tools. It's
an even more extreme distinction than the one I still see between prints
made directly from photographic negatives and those made through
computer mediation.

---Carl