Event 8/3&4 in NYC area

From: Andrew Darlow (andy@andydarlow.com)
Date: 07/30/02-11:02:17 AM Z

I hope that this message is of interest to some of the AltPhoto
members. I've been a member of this list for a number of years and
I'm continually amazed at the excellent information that passes
through my in-box each day. I am a photographer, digital imaging
consultant and I have also been an instructor at The International
Center of Photography for the last six years, specializing in helping
photographers turn their work into gallery quality prints using many
different processes.

I am running a two-day event in the New York City area on August 3rd
and 4th, 2002; the first day(Saturday) is a private workshop
($265/person) for up to 14 participants, which I am team-teaching
with Dan Burkholder. The majority of the Saturday workshop will
focus on getting prints directly onto fine art and semi-gloss papers
using Epson printers and Dan will cover the process of getting great
black and white files from color originals as well as making digital
negatives for contact printing. A full description and registration
information is available at www.theinkjetsummit.com

Dan is giving a full-day workshop on Sunday in the same location
which is more intensely focused on digital negatives for contact
printing; he posted an announcement about a week ago and if anyone is
still interested in attending, please call 916-929-6177.

The location is the Best Western Oritani in Hackensack, next to the
Riverside Square Mall.

The second day(Sunday) is an open event(free with online reservation)
called "The Inkjet Summit Exhibition & Technology Showcase" being
held from 11am-5pm. If you just want to visit on Sunday, in the
same location from 11 am - 5 pm will be "The Inkjet Summit Exhibition
and Technology Showcase"

Four exhibitions, including three inkjet print shows and a group of
platinum prints from digital negatives by Dan Burkholder will also be
shown on Sunday. I'll have a show of dog photographs and there will
be a very moving collection of photographs taken by Rwandan children
who were orphaned due to the genocide that occured in the mid 1990's.
David Jiranek, a friend of mine and the individual who conceived of
and produced the prints from the photographs says the following,
"This project gives Rwandan orphans who previously had very little to
hope for a chance to make a difference in their own lives and the
lives of others. All proceeds from the sale of the children's prints
directly supports the orphanange and the education of its children.
We are in the planning stages of a nationwide exhibition tour in
children's museums, colleges, universities and photography galleries.
I'll be returning in August to continue this work with the children
and to celebrate the 90th birthday of the orphanage's founder and
director, Rosamond Carr"

Sponsors include Epson America, Fuji Photo, Bestcolor USA,
Advertising Photographers of America/New York Chapter, Professional
Photographers of America/NJ Chapter, The Puffin Foundation,
Professional Graphics Sales & Services and TCAC(Teaneck Cultural Arts
Coalition).

The new Fuji S2 digital camera will be tethered to a large TV to show
participants the results in real-time. Frank Dispensa, (PPA
Certified, M.Photog.Cr., APM) will have a male and female model at
the event and large (16x20 to 20x24 inch) prints will be made on two
Epson 7600's throughout the day. Photographers are encouraged to
bring a blank CompactFlash card to use in the camera so that images
can be evaluated later at your home or studio.

Seats in the first two or three rows(limited to 30) are being made
available for recipients of this mailing who register before
Wednesday, July 31. This is a great opportunity for any serious
amateur or professional photographer to learn from a Mr. Dispensa, a
true master of his craft. There is no charge to attend, but please
only register if you know you will be attending. To register, send an
e-mail to register@theinkjetsummit.com and put "Your Name Free
Seminar" in the subject line. A seat will be held for you until
11:20 am on Sunday. If you don't register in advance, you can still
enjoy the presentation, but possibly from a slightly further distance.

Although not on the web site, since there is considerable interest in
the Epson 7600/9600's, individuals are encouraged to bring a
hi-resolution image to have it output on Sunday at up to 20x24 inches
on one of the 7600's at a cost of $85 per print. Please indicate
your intent to have a print made when registering on the web site so
that I can contact you with some additional information. Matte
watercolor paper will be available for any interested individuals.

SATURDAY PRIVATE WORKSHOP:
If you are interested in taking Andrew Darlow's Saturday
workshop(limited to 14 with a cost of $265. with PPA discount), you
can register online at www.theinkjetsummit.com . If you are an
inkjet user or are thinking of purchasing one of Epson's newest
printers, this full day seminar is perfect for you. Each participant
will have two prints (up to 20x24 inches each) made of their work,
and one scan made from a 35 or medium format negative or transparency
on Sunday at the Technology Showcase on an Imacon scanner. One hi-res
scan and two 20x24 inkjet prints(including scanning) alone would
normally cost over $350.

A Macintosh system will be used with Photoshop 7, but
Windows-specific issues will also be covered. Each Saturday workshop
participant will also receive a custom-made binder filled with
step-by-step instructions, screen shots and much more info related to
getting better inkjet prints. For complete details, please visit
www.theinkjetsummit.com.

All the best!

Andrew Darlow

Photography, Digital Print Consulting and Custom Editions
Andrew Darlow Images International - www.andrewdarlow.com
Toll free- 1-877-A-Darlow (1-877-232-7569)

Author: Inkjet Tip of the Month Club (newsletter)