Re: Another one bites the dust.

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 07/30/02-10:42:06 AM Z

Sandy,

You are right about color. I use a Mac G4 and an Epson 2000P and I love it!
But I assume that remark about silver/gel B&W prints and slaving away in the
darkroom was tounge-in-cheek but I will respond as if it were not. ;-)

Digital images are great. I do them and love the look, but I also do a lot
of alternative process including daguerreotypes simply for the look one gets
with these processes that cannot be duplicated using digital methods ( my
geeky digital art friends would debate this statement).
This, of course, is the same reason I do silver-gelatin prints. But also, I
love working in the darkroom. Spending several hours in a very dark, humid
room, sloshing around in trays of toxic chemicals and breathing I don't know
what (although I do have a good ventilator) is
my idea of a good time especially if I emerge with some great prints.

An archivally processed fiber base, silver print that has been selenium or
gold toned should have a lifetime of 100-300 years. My Epson 2000P
color prints are supposed to have a lifetime of 100-200 years.

I always tell people who buy my prints that if they (the prints) fade any
time in the next 200 years, they can bring them back and I will make them
new prints.

Bob Schramm