RE: Real photography

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/31/02-12:52:14 AM Z

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Leyba, Matt wrote:
> .... There are photographers wandering the world
> with half of your talent who get all the recognition. Some may explain this
> as the product of a fallen world. It is that and more. Most journalism
> students at the college level are looking for the free ride, for that media
> entity to come begging the student to sign on. The go-getters with minimal
> talent get the jobs while the gifted journalism student is postponing the
> completion of the portfolio while planning a graduation trip to Europe.

I think any photojournalism course that takes the medium seriously, gives
it moral weight, and also values technical competence has got to be a boon
to its students and the field at large... but that paragraph is, I
think... oh, let's say highly hypothetical -- and certainly unlike
anything I've observed. Nor do I think you can so neatly separate energy,
motivation and "go-getting" from "talent."

Etc.

Judy