Re: Struth vs. Burtynsky

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/31/02-11:45:12 AM Z

Katherine wrote:

> I'm not much of a Struth fan either, but my copy of the May 27 New
> Yorker has stayed open to his portrait of a mother and child ever since
> I got the magazine, and I never pass the magazine without stopping to
> look at the picture. It's not very often that a photograph captures my
> attention to that extent.

That was the picture that made me want to go to the show! I thought it was
one of the best portraits I'd ever seen. It's not easy to get people to
relax to that degree in front of the camera, and the print itself is
perfect.

What I liked were not so much the huge prints as the smaller black and white
pictures from early in his career, of city landscapes, mostly in Europe but
also there were some from NYC.
The prints were so well done. The big color ones had their moments too, but
the craftsmanship of the smaller b and w ones was inspiring. They would
have been nice in pt/pd too of course.

--shannon