Re: Experiment gone awry

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/15/02-01:28:59 PM Z

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Not that this is going to help you now, but a former student used 1:10
> dilution of medium and it worked great. She resized with it after several
> coats. Once acrylic is on there I think it's there to stay. Could you sand
> it (gasp) and give it some tooth? No, that sounds like a bad idea...

Go to the art store, or call Daniel Smith and get some acrylic brush
cleaner or solvent -- as soon as I finish here I'll check my container &
get the exact name. I've used it to clean off acrylic from prints -- you
have to noodle it a bit, probably let it soak to soften the acrylic a few
minutes, and so forth, but if you're going to dink around with acrylic on
prints, can't hurt to have some on hand.

That said however I'll add that the acrylic size -- 1 to 10 -- that I used
for color separated gums was nowhere near as good as hardened gelatin. I
had great success with one print, but on the next, by the 2nd or 3rd
coating the paper had become quite fuzzy and mushy as it never did with
gelatin and I ended up throwing it out. Of course that particular paper
may have been the problem, but in any event I don't recommend the acrylic
for continuous tone... it won't hold the highlights. Printing a
*halftone* negative is of course an entirely different matter... the dots
are either on or off and highlights no special problem.

Stochastic negative I can't speak for in acrylic as I never tried one.

I'll add that "yellowing" with glyoxal doesn't seem all it's cracked up to
be -- at least around here. At least I've never seen any yellowing from
glyoxal that didn't soak or clear out, and it's rare in any event. (Did
you rinse the print after hardeneing?) Which is not to say that some
batches or methods or combos won't do it, but that generalizations are ...
fallible.

Meanwhile, for those experimenting with acrylic size, I note that, aside
from the different brands which are different (needless to say), there are
the different finishes -- gloss, satin and matte, which are also different
& work differently. I've also found that the amount of water to add
varies. For instance my "satin" finish has been in the jar 2020 years by
actual count and is thicker than new, so it requires more water. Etc.

cheers,

Judy