Removal of gelatin or animial hide glue from glass

From: John Cremati (johnjohnc@core.com)
Date: 06/27/02-02:42:08 AM Z

Hi,
       I have a unusual problem.... I have a antique, possibly historic ,
hand painted stained glass window that was given to a associate of mine
for restoration.... It is attributed to Rembrandt and is absolutely
magnificent!...In restoring a window such as this no broken glass is
replaced , it is just sandwiched between two clear pieces of glass and just
left in tact...
      The problem is that in a previous 19 century restoration attempt the
restorer applied either gelatin or animal hide glue to the broken glass and
then applied or glued a clear piece of glass to this...This animal glue has since
partially separated from the glass and is quit distracting leaving small
fragments of glue adhering to both the clear cover glass and the painted
original glass. There is large area where the glue is solidly attached to
both surfaces with no fragments ............... This glue needs to be removed with out
affecting the glass painting...... I am afraid to try anything with heat as
a "glue chipping effect" may occur and it seems that the glue or gelatin may have become
partially insoluble possibly due to a reaction with the glass or glass paint
/pigment which is fired on and years of exposure to sunlight.... Any
suggestions on its removal or softening this glue (or possibly just gelatin
material)? I would be happy to forward a picture of this window off list
on request ......
John Cremati