Re: The future of the handmade print?

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/10/02-03:13:33 AM Z

I think folks are venting their anxieties with this one... or whistling in
the dark. I've seen "handmade" prints that were dull as ditchwater, and
inkjet prints that were dazzling. Some of the latter, by the way, I doubt
could be told from "wet prints" unless you spit on them.

As for sales, I see inkjet prints in "good" NYC galleries (also museums),
and there sure were plenty in the Pier "Armory" show. I don't think, given
the cost of real estate in this city, they're giving them space if they
don't sell. Also, if we're extolling the value of the extra labor, I doubt
that an inkjet print is easier to make than a regular silver gelatin
print. In fact, if you count the learning curve, the digital print takes
longer. And nobody is calling silver gelatin printers "lazy."

I myself prefer to make a print by hand, for all sorts of reasons,
including the fact that I build a gum print interactively, as it forms on
the paper (not on the monitor). But so what? I promise, there are
marvelous gorgeous spectacular digital prints... and will be even more.
Get used to it.

Judy