Re: The future of the handmade print?

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 03/11/02-11:49:17 AM Z

Alejandro wrote:

>I know it is an endless discussion to argue about Art and what is art and
>what isn't. But at the end it got to do about what the public likes and
>finally what are they willing to pay for it. From this perspective I have a
>question to ask you: If you have $100.000 and you must spend it on either a
>Limited Edition 2/5 "extravagance*" brush-out platinum print or a Limited
>Edition 2/5 computer print both made by Hiroshi Sugimoto, as an example:
>Which one would you buy?

If you are putting up the money and there are no consequences to the
purchase I would buy the print that pleased me most, which might be
either for its content or for its print syntax.

On the other hand, in spending my own money I would personally only
pay $100,000 for a print for investment purposes. Since both images
are limited edition prints, 2/5, I would require a lot more
information to know which of the two might be the better investment.

Sandy King