RE: Sensiometry with Digital Negatives

From: Larry Roohr (lrryr@attbi.com)
Date: 03/21/02-08:13:39 AM Z

David,

You should start with a step wedge negative with no curve applied, make your
print, then make a curve that equates 0% in your image file to max density
on your print, 100% to min density, and even steps in between. I'd guess
that the .acv file you have is exactly this for someone else's process and
you need to repeat the exercise for your own. I measure the negative and
make them for specific desired density's, this assumes the print process
doesn't need any special treatment and a nice linear negative is what's
desired.

If your lucky enough to have a densitometer I've written an excel
spreadsheet that does the interpolation for you. Basically you make your
print, measure the step values, input them to the spreadsheet, it outputs
values for a new curve. Let me know if you want it and I'll send it to you.

Larry