Re: Archival matters

From: Phillip Murphy (pmurf@bellsouth.net)
Date: 03/21/02-08:14:00 PM Z

Hello Sandy,

 Have you considered a wet-mounting method? In his book "The Albumen and
Salted Paper Book", James Reilly documents a method of wet-mounting prints
that was developed by David Kolody. The method utilizes a wheat starch
paste. Although an excellent method, there still exists the entomological
problem.
http://albumen.stanford.edu/library/monographs/reilly/chap10.html

This method was modified and improved upon later at the Palladio Company
Inc. as a mounting method for Albumen prints. The adhesive used by them was
methyl cellulose. The material isn't a food source like wheat starch. It's
been years since I spoke with Sura Steinberg of the Palladio Company
regarding this, however, there was a time when I experimented with this
method for Carbon prints and it worked very well. One advantage of this
method of mounting is that it is easily removed in cool water. Sorry that I
cannot offer a more detailed account of methyl cel wet mounting. There is a
good introductory article on wet mounting by Chris Paschke at
http://www.pictureframingmagazine.com/pdfs/mastermount/wetmount.pdf

all the best,
 Phillip