Re: Measuring

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 03/27/02-08:53:54 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Sandy King wrote:
>
>> In numerous tests with several UV banks I have not seen any
>> appreciable speed gain between 2" and 4" spacing, or even between 2"
>> and 6" for that matter. There may some slight gain from the closer
>> clearance but it has been too small in my tests to visually evaluate.
>
>And that's exactly what my recent batch of tests corroborated -- as I
>said, the *blue* rose up to the same point in all tests -- or all tests
>with the same 21-step.

The fact that the *blue* rose up to the same point in all tests"
would suggest the opposite to me, i.e, that there was no gain in
speed with different height?

>Sandy, if you want that million dollars, you have to read more carefully.
>What I said was that I'd noticed a different look in the different heights
>in the EARLIER project (the one of bulbs further apart at different
>heights, using diluted emulsion exposed only 30 seconds), which made me
>wonder about your statement that different heights yielded same exposure,
>hence this latest series.

OK, I promise to read more carefully but only if you promise to be
more clear in your writing. If a semi-educated person such as myself
is confused then others may be as well.

Let me cut to the chase on this. I really don't know on what point
you and I are said to have bet a million dollars and on which we
disagree. If it is a question of speed gain with tube clearance from
the printing frame, let me say that I have never said that there is
*no* speed gain with decreased clearance, only that it is very small
and in no way approaches the level one would expect from the inverse
square law. It is only in this context that I recall having
previously discussed speed gain as it relates to tube clearance.

If your understanding of the bet has anything to do with banding or
uneven distribution of light based on *tube spacing* I must confess
that I don't ever recall stating anything that is in conflict with
the tests that you carried out for the last issue of PF. Not that I
necessarily agree with the finding, mind you, because to speak quite
frankly, it hardly seems possible to me that one could carry out
reliable and consistent tests with the light source you described in
the article. But if angels can find their way through the head of a
needle, who knows!!!

Sandy