you say chimigram, I say chemigram

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Nick Makris wrote:

> ... Chemigram vs.
> Chimigram.  Anybody have any comments on a possible typo here?

Nick, I can't tell from the above whether that question is current or an
old one from the archive -- whichever, chemigram and chimigram are the
same thing.  Pierre Cordier, who popularized the process in the US, in
fact as I recall invented it, was French. He said chimigram. But in our
magazines it was called chemigram -- I would guess that "chimi-" is the
prefix for the French word for "chemistry," as "chemi-" is for the
English.

Judy