Re: Pt/Pd printing with various lights

On Sun, 5 May 2002, Clay Harmon wrote:

> Sandy:
>
> Do you have or have access to a NuArc Mercury vapor unit? I have heard it
> said that these units are lower contrast than the BL units, and was

I ran the tests a long time ago, but my NuArc mercury vapor unit was MORE
contrasty in gum than the BL bulbs -- I didn't pay much attention because
the contrast of gum is infinitely adjustable so it didn't make a lot of
difference, but as I recall, the contrast of cyanotype and VDB was either
the same or contrastier. I'd be VERY surprised if anything was *flatter*
with the NuArc, except maybe the paper-neg "sandwich," due to the extreme
pressure in the vacuum frame (you've got to open the bleed valve or you're
making an etching).

Judy