Re: lith film and pinholes

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Bob and Carla wrote:

> Dear Chris,
>      Pinholes in lith film are a slamdunk sign that your developer is getting
> exhausted, old, or too dilute...
> Robert

This question seems to recycle at intervals, and tends to come out like
this one -- that is, there is NO consensus that it's stop bath, dust,
whatever... so Bob's off-developer is as good an idea as any -- tho the
water has been blamed as well.

Anyway, as I've said before, my space-cadet undergrads making lith negs in
their filthy dirty darkrooms probably not cleaned since the building was
built, didn't produce pinholes, nor did my cellar darkroom next to the
boiler room, with openings to the great NYC outdoors, a fact variously
attributed to local virtue, local water, and now it seems virtuous
developer.

In any event, if the spots are perfectly round, odds are its pinholes.
Dust makes squiggles, curves, wisps, blobs and dashes.

Judy