Re: lith film and pinholes

I seem to remember something about air bubbles
forming in the presence of acids in gelatine.
The pinholes could possibly be forming in an acid
hardening fixer or a stop bath. I use plain water
to slow the developing and then place directly in
the fix. I have noticed that the more contrast in
the film the more likely that there will be pinholes.
Presoaking the film in a water bath before developing
could prevent the air bubbles from forming under the
surface of the emulsion. When submerging silver photo
paper in developer I have seen bubbles form. Where
they come from I do not understand. Yet they stream
to the top.

The hypothesis of an exhausted developer sounds viable
too. I don't get air bubbles with very diluted developer
but, then, exhausted developer has had its chemical
composition changed through use. humm...

These are just clues, for what it is worth.

Mark A. Morrill
Gummist since 1988