Re: Printing frame

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Philippe Monnoyer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am searching for instructions to build a basic printing frame (8x10"). I
> don't care about the way it looks. I just need quickly a system that presses
> my neg firmly to the paper surface, everywhere on the image. Do you have
> basic recommendations ?
> Any simple ideas are welcome.

I've tried many printing frames, including elegant expensive custom made.
IME nothing beats a sheet of heavy plate glass with weights on it on top
of another sheet of plate glass. However, for this to work well you have
to have lights underneath, negative sandwich above.... which means you
can't burn & dodge, tho of course you have perfect negatives, so that's
not a problem.

PS. For many reasons, some obvious, some less so, clamps on edges of glass
sandwich don't work especially well. At least in my experience, has to be
weights over the image area. I use 3 gallon jugs of water and/or Liquitex
gesso. (Pictured in P-F #6.)

J.