Re: glyoxal yellowing - is this old news?

Title: Re: glyoxal yellowing - is this old news?
Clay,

I have seen yellowing of the sizing of papers hardened with glyoxal on several occasions. For that reason I now avoid the use of glyoxal and use chrome alum instead.

In some cases the yellowing may be reversible as someone suggested at one time during a similar thread.  I don't recall exactly their recommendation but you might try a 3% solution of sodium bisulfite or potassium metabisulfite if you have one of these on hand. Just let the print soak in the solution for 5-10 minutes and then wash in running water for another 5-10 minutes. This is the procedure I follow to eliminate the yellowing of carbon prints developed on paper that results from bichromate leeching into the paper.

Sandy K.

I just pulled out a palladium print that I had sized after printing about a month ago, but had forgotten to finish with a gumover layer. The sized area had yellowed tremendously! Has anyone had any a problem with the paper yellowing after sizing with gelatin and glyoxal? I seem to recall some discussion of this a while back, but can't find the exact thread. Does chrome alum resist yellowing better? And where do you get chrome alum? Neither B&S, Artcraft, or the Formulary carry it, at least on their web pages.

Thanks for any help.

Clay