Re: Alt Photo Galleries in NYC

For better or worse, and you can quote me on this, NYC is not, or has not
been, an "alt photo town." However, there are some shows of interest now
-- Sarah Morthlund's "alt" show in honor of Lyle's book was mentioned.
John Stevenson Gallery specializes in "alt."  Ricco Maresca often has
shows of interest, and while the 53rd St MoMA remains open, their
permanent photo collection is splendid. Also check ICP, now conveniently
relocated midtown (and they have a good photo bookstore).

I'd second Bob's suggestion of "Photography in New York," adding only that
Friday's New York Times art section has, in addition to a calendar of
galleries & museums, articles & mini-reviews of current shows, usually
with at least one about photography. (The Sunday Times does higher culture
-- current events are Friday.)

I am unable to tell you at this time why that calendar page, clipped from
last Friday's paper, has sunk beneath the waves, since I distinctly recall
laying it on top... Fortunately, there will be another day after tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the photo show I most want to see is at the Jewish Museum. No,
not the Nazi art, this one is (it says) on street photography in New York,
evidently the mother lode, or birthplace of street photography.  That and
Gerhardt Richter at MoMA (which also has a NYC photo show if I recall
rightly) are in my near future... but I will restate (and you can quote me
on this too) that to focus on photo shows in NYC is perhaps/probably to
miss the BEST the city has to offer.  (But forget the Philly steak at BB
Bar on West 3rd St, which got a rave in the Times -- one of that paper's
all-too frequent critical lapses, sorry to say. Soggy roll and overspiced
is more like it.)

Finally, the other show I'd really like to see (tho it's WAY above 14th
St.) is the one of Black Art at the Studio Museum in Harlem, curated by
Thelma Golden. It ranges from the "vernacular", or kitsch (nearly always a
delight) to what, judging by repros in the paper, is very fine painting.
Probably little if any photography, tho almost certainly photo realism.

best,

Judy