Re: Purchase of gum arabic

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Hans Nohlberg wrote:
> ... Some gums gave a very dark
> solution (even if the lumps were clear).

Hi Hans... Did you ever test the dark vs. the light gum arabic with
pigment or paint?  I haven't found any correlation between darkness of the
gum arabic and the quality of its printing, or even the color.

My darkest gum (Daniel Smith lithographers') and my lightest gum (Winsor
Newton -- at something like 78 times the price) seem to print about the
same tone even of the lightest yellow.

It may be different however when you're starting with the dry gum -- as we
know, even the container is a variable in gum printing.

Judy