Re: mordancage

It isn't clear to me why it's necessary to search for bomb grade peroxide,
or anything stronger than drugstore for that matter -- simply "adjust"
the strength of the bleach by increasing ratio of peroxide to water. That
is, more peroxide, less water equals stronger mix.

The reason, incidentally, that highlights in the method of fluting a
photograph that seems now to be called "mordencage"  don't soften stems
from the basic principle of the process: The bleach of peroxide and either
copper sulfate or copper chloride destroys/ attacks or softens metallic
silver.

Metallic silver is the BLACK part of a developed photograph. The
highlights (whites) have no metallic silver, hence no action.  In the
bleach and redevelopment method the entire photograph is removed, and the
silver halide remaining (before fixing) is then developed up -- in reverse
of the first print, of course.

Judy