Digital CAMERA Negatives

I've just read Dan Burkholder's past review of the Coolpix 995, which he
said became his new "carry everywhere" camera.  It happens to be my
carry-everywhere camera too, and I've wondered how much experience list
members have had making digital negatives and alt prints directly from 3
megapixel digital files.  Are there any examples on the Web?  I've seen a
lot of posts involving digital negs in general, but most people seem to be
using hi-quality scanned files.  I've purchased Dan's excellent book and
hope to make my own tests soon.