Re: Albumen toning questions/Polytoner

At 04:34 PM 05/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I understand that Kodak's long running Polytoner-- which I use regularly--
>has been discontinued. Arthur

  Polytoner is gone and Agfa Viradon, which used to be a similar
combination sulfide and selenium toner, no longer has selenium in it.
  However, you can make what is essentially Kodak Polytoner from Kodak
Brown Toner and Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner.

Combination Toner

Water						500.0 ml
Sodium Carbonate, monohydrated	160.0 grams
Kodak Brown Toner				320.0 ml
Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner		 80.0 ml
Water to make			  	  1.0 liter

  Dilute 1 part concentrate to 3 parts water for use. Toning takes 3 to 5
minutes @ 68F.
  Clear in 10% sulfite solution for about three minues before washing to
avoid continued toning in the wash.
  Toning time above for silver-gelatin paper.

  Kodak gives to working solution combinations. No.1 gives redder tones
than No.2

Formula No.1

Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner				17.0 ml
Kodak Brown Toner						75.0 ml
Kodalk (Sodium metaborate)				30.0 grams
Water to make						 1.0 liter

This is a working solution.

Formula No.2

Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner				2.0 ml
Kodak Brown Toner					    100.0 ml
Kodalk							8.0 grams
Water to make						1.0 liter

This is a working solution.
Formula No.2 tends to reduce the print a little so prints should be given a
little more exposure than normally.
  The second toner has about half the capacity of the first.

  Obviously all sorts of variations can be made.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com